Thank you from your winner – Jo!

Hi Everyone!

What a great event this has been! I have thoroughly enjoyed I’m a Scientist – Get Me Out of Here and want to say a massive thank you to everyone who has taken part. Thank you especially to everyone who voted for me – I feel very honoured to have won and hope to do you all justice by using the prize money to engage more young people in science. Hopefully this event has given you all a taster for what being a scientist is like (and that it really is quite fun and we are really quite normal after all, I promise!) and maybe even inspired you to think about a career in science for yourself.

Throughout these last two weeks I have been consistantly impressed with the quality of questions. Although my favourite on comic grounds was ‘are you a member of the Illuminati?’, there were lots of very thought provoking questions asked by all year groups, like ‘if you could meet Darwin now, what would you ask him?’ and ‘if you could change the world in one way what would you change and how would you change it?’. Some of these really made me stop and think about what I’m doing and why I’m doing it – and most of all about how other people think about scientists and what we do. I think I have also become a pro touch-typer from frantically trying to answer so many questions at once!

So well done and thank you to all the students who have taken part in this. You have all made the event a big success – I hope you’ve enjoyed it as much as I have. Thank you also to all your teachers for facilitating it, and the forum moderators for keeping things running so smoothly. I also want to thank my fellow ‘Green Scientists’ – Sarah, Sankar, Becky and Alan. They are all doing fantastic work and did a great job of answering all your questions – I certainly learned a lot from reading their answers and was grateful to have them in the live chats, especially when it got really busy! I wish them every success in their future careers.

Finally, to all the students – good luck in whatever you go on to do. Don’t worry if you have no idea what you want to do. This will become clear as you get older and work your way through school, college and beyond. I think that the most important thing is to do something that interests you, you enjoy and that you find rewarding.

That’s all from me – one last thank you and watch out for details on the competition that I organise with the prize money!

Jo

Posted on March 23, 2015 by modangela in News. Leave a comment.